Home Forums Swamp Talk General Discussion Album Sales Trending UP!

This topic contains 9 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by Avatar of DaRiverBoatQueen DaRiverBoatQueen 1 year, 2 months ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Dana

Hey Swamp Girl, can you provide some inside info on what is driving the continued robust sales of WASFE? The All Access “Street Pulse” chart of album sales released today shows that WASFE sales have increased about 24% over the prior week. (All right!!) Street Pulse stats tend to be released a few days before Billboard results are released. For example, I believe that WASFE entered the Street Pulse album sales chart (this chart covers albums of all music genres) the first week at #5. Of course we all know that Billboard charted it a few days later at #3. The next Street Pulse showed the album dropping to #9 I believe. But then the next chart showed it rising to #6 and now this week it has risen again to #3! (this is the 24% increase over the prior week, and is it’s highest position yet on the Street Pulse chart. BTW, for the sales charts by music genre, WASFE appears to be ‘assigned’ to the Triple A genre – I believe it has been holding steady on this chart as #1 all the way through today!!). We know that the album dropped to #14 the 2nd week on Billboard. But the Street Pulse results would suggest that it will rise again on the next Billboard chart.

At any rate, I have also been watching the All Access Mediabase charts to see what song(s) is/are being played on radio and by what stations. This is where I’m perplexed, because I am having a tough time finding that the songs are being played with any regularity on all but a few stations. But I think I must be missing something, because an increase in album sales implies that the songs are being heard which is prompting people to buy the album.

So what I am hoping you can tell me (us) is where the album is getting its exposure that is driving it’s increased sales? Not being privy to record industry information, I can only presume that perhaps the Mystic Highway video is getting good airplay on CMT and that is boosting sales? Or perhaps there are a lot of smaller radio stations across America that are playing the tracks but these stations are not the ones being reported in the All Access charts?

Any info of this type would be very much appreciated by this Fogertyphile! Thanks!

Dana

• This topic was modified 1 year, 2 months ago by Avatar of Dana Dana.
    Swamp Girl
    Keymaster

I think I can fairly sum it up with just the fact that this album freakin rocks!

Haha but in all honesty, I will see if I can get any feedback from the label on this. See if I can point you in the right direction. Very, very cool. I know Father’s Day had to help.

-Swamp Girl

Dana

I really appreciate the quick reply, SG! Thanks! Looking forward to what you find out and can report. Also keeping my fingers crossed that we see a similar upward nudge on the next Billboard album chart…

And — of course — the album DOES FREAKIN ROCK!! ;-)

Dana

Sam Berdoo

A personal story regarding Swamp Girl’s comment about Father’s Day possibly boosting sales:

I’m one of those guys who is terrible at getting cards/gifts for family members. Even my own parents! My wife has graciously taken care of these matters for as long as I can remember.

But last Saturday – the day before Father’s Day – my wife told me that she just realized she had forgotten to get a card and gift for my Dad. I told her not to worry, that I would take care of it ASAP.

So a few minutes later, I hopped in the car to run some errands. I turned on WASFE and played Almost Saturday Night. That has become my personal favorite, which is interesting because I usually lean towards Mr. Fogerty’s rock songs (my #1 favorites have always been Commotion and Born on the Bayou).

As I was enjoying John and Keith sing about that motor wagon being ready to fly, it hit me. Not only would WASFE be a great Father’s Day gift for my Dad, it would probably be the best Father’s Day gift I’ve ever gotten for him. We’ve grown apart over the years, but when I was younger I was surprised to discover that our musical tastes had some overlap. And this most definitely included CCR.

So I bopped in to the local K-mart – sorry if that spoils the story but it’s the truth – bought WASFE for the 2nd time and shipped it to Dad that afternoon. Along with a card in which I explained my love for WASFE and my hope that he’ll enjoy it too. Can’t wait to hear what he thinks!

Swamp Girl
    Keymaster

I love it!

Swamp Girl
    Keymaster

Alright, Dana.

You’re right about there being a number of factors involved. On the radio front, the Mediabase charts represent just a portion of stations that are playing the music. Mediabase-wise, “Fortunate Son” hit #3 on the Classic Rock chart this past week—which we are excited about! The album was also the #1 Most Added Album at Americana this week—which is huge news too. Not many of those Americana stations can be seen on Mediabase but the music is still reaching a massive audience every day via radio across multiple formats.

Ultimately, all the great radioplay, press, and tv appearances help showcase the incredible music on this album to bigger audiences—but it’s word of mouth that what will always be the best way to convince people about this album. Luckily, we’ve got the best fans in the world and thanks to each of you who have been raving about the album to your friends, more and more people are buying the music. So thank YOU!

We’re putting together a list of stations playing the new album (it’s loooong and continues to get longer each day) so those of you who want to make requests can use your time effectively and focus on the best stations for that. It’s very cool that so many of you want to help spread the word and we’ll keep giving you tools to do that. Like we said, we have the BEST fans in the world!

-Swamp Girl

Dana

THANKS SO MUCH Swamp Girl for all this great information! Despite the good news on the Street Pulse chart, I had been feeling a little down about not seeing much reported on the Mediabase radio play reports. But your info tells me that there is a lot of good stuff going on that I have been unable to monitor. And what’s more you report that things are still trending upward! Now I’m feeling stoked! Looking forward to seeing the list of stations playing the songs; it would be especially great if you can also list the specific WASFE song(s) that each station has put on their playlist – that will help ensure that we request the songs that the DJs are allowed to play. I am especially interested in stations in the AC and Country formats who are jumping on the album, as I think there is a huge pool of as yet untapped John fans (and record buyers!) among listeners to those radio formats.

Woohoo! This is getting really fun! Go Johnny go!!

Dana

I don’t understand it also. I’m hearing little airplay here in Fredericksburg Va.The radio stations tell me it has not been released to them as country as of yet. A classic rock station plays Fortunate Son now and then.You would thank Hot Rod Heart would be on the air by now, and Mystic Highway.You know in the Creedence days the music was constantly on the airwaves.He had it once but I don;t think he’ll ever see it again.John needs a new album of original material out there. Hooch!

GiantsDave66

On this week’s album sales chart, WASFE remains in the top 20! HitsDailyDouble actually reports a 2% increase in sales, which is uncommon for artists after the release week.

Although getting John to #1 is nearly impossible, I really believe that John could crack the Top Ten again with sustained promotion and marketing. More Youtube ads, internet banners, and TV appearances! The great marketing strategy used last month appealed to everyone: young people (Reddit AMA, iHeartRadio), middle-aged (Letterman appearance, WTF Podcast), hardcore fans (AXS broadcast), new fans (CMT music video), and women of all ages (the View). I hope we see more from John before his September guest slots, so album sales keep going strong.

http://www.hitsdailydouble.com/sales/salescht.cgi

Thanks for all the good stories and the reports on how John’s new CD is doing on the charts. The Wrote a Song CD is so amazing and good – I’m playing every day and the songs just grow on ya. The retooled LODI is sooo good!!!! I just love how John took it from being a melancholy song and made it much more upbeat.

What is it about John’s songs that whenever there’s a fiddle put to it, it just sounds so AMAZING???
    And a little taste of banjo treatment always proves to be tasty as well.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.