Home Forums Swamp Talk General Discussion Back to Telephone

This topic contains 10 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by Avatar of Rockin' Maniac Rockin’ Maniac 7 months, 4 weeks ago.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    charles

For those who wants to hear the Hoodoo album with a very good sound quality (best version ever) please check on youtube. A version posted by Arisingwind time 30.39 with some of the hiss and more removed.
    Finally a good version after all those years. Very good album. Too bad the first song released was not Telephone or Hoodoo Man because the story of that album would have been different.
    If it ever released I think the track list should be like this for a better rythym
    Hoodoo Man
    Telephone
    On The Run
    Between the Lines
    Henrietta
    Leave My Woman Alone
    You Got The Magic
    Evil Thing
    Marching to Blairney

Vinyl Mike

Hoodoo is one of those albums that was quite simply ”before its time”. Great? No it wasn’t and John knew it, nothing subpar for him. It had potential and some great songs. Quite honestly, and I have thought this for a while now but I wish he would rerecord it now in its entirety. John if you read this this is my request to see Hoodoo rerecorded. The art work is already done, use the original.

I firmly believe that not releasing “Hoodoo” was the right thing to do. There were some very good tunes on that LP–Between the Lines, On the Run, and Telephone–but also some truly terrible tunes–Marching to Blarney, You’ve Got the Magic and Evil Thing. As we all know JF is a perfectionist when it comes to his music and “Hoodoo” was nowhere close to his level of artistry.

It’s funny to me that HOODOO never goes out of style. It’s a bootleg – never officially released album, yet anyone who considers themselves a fan of Creedence will make the time to hear it for themselves.

Somebody always had a copy of it to share, because it was too good of an album to let lie silent.
    Music this good will never go wasted….no hun. It won’t go unheard.

Please give it a chance and listen to it the whole way through, and then you have the opportunity to fully express your own informed opinion about the album, that was NEVER RELEASED in 1974-ish? (I can’t remember the facts, only the legend.)

Personally, I think it’s very good. Maybe it’s because it has this deep swampy, cat-tails swaying under the spanish moss type of vibe goin for it. It’s pure Creedence, if you’re askin’ me, but I realize that nobody really is askin’ me. ha ha. That’s cool, friends!!!

I got “Between the Lines” playin now – off of Youtube.
    Mmmmm! MMMMM!!!! MMMMmmmmmmMMMMMMMmmmmmmmm!
    God, oh GOD!!! Why DO I LOVE that song so danged much???? Even though the track is murky and somewhat muddle-puddle on John’s vocals, I can jump into it with both feet – 100 feet deep, in his deep bluesy sea – it’s such a relatable tune to me.

Sigh *
    And that, my swamp friends, is why I adore this HOODOO album.
    It is just so down – home comforting to my soul.

x o x o x o

Fogerty tells us he was in a deep funk during the emerging release of this fine masterpiece of a product, and I feel some of his pain (fresh post CCR breakup)…..perhaps
    this is why I love the album soooooooooooo much!!!!

I can’t pretend to fully understand the motivation behind HOODOO, but I can only say,
    LISTEN TO IT AS SOON AS YOU CAN….then and only then, will you being to understand….

God bless.

charles

Maybe this gentlemen from the record compagny (Mr. Smith) if I’m correct was expecting a Creedence album but it’s a John Fogerty solo album produced by one person??
    Just to be in the mood of the 70′s I did a CD with my favorite one from Shep and Hoodoo and it goes like this. And if you try that you won’t noticed a big difference with the recording quality with this new version of Hoodoo
    . Rockin’all over the world
    Hoodoo man
    Almost saturday night
    Telephone
    The wall
    On the run
    Travelin High
    Between the line
    You rascal you
    Henrietta
    Where the river flows
    Leave my womam alone

Dan Smith

Travelin High what a great song love the sax . When John started the BMS tour I was able to talk with him when he was on the MARK and Brian radio show in Los Angeles. One thing I asked him was about the song Travelin High. I said John RAOTW and Almost Saturday night along with Travelin High are great records and I hope you play them on your tour. Well he played 2 out 3. Love the record I hope one day John records more piano and sax in his songs, God knows he a fantastic guitar player.

Dan

Dan Smith

Travelin High what a great song love the sax . When John started the BMS tour I was able to talk with him when he was on the MARK and Brian radio show in Los Angeles. One thing I asked him was about the song Travelin High. I said John RAOTW and Almost Saturday night along with Travelin High are great records and I hope you play them on your tour. Well he played 2 out 3. Love the record I hope one day John records more piano and sax in his songs, God knows he a fantastic guitar player.

Dan

evilthang

Great idea, folks… JCF re-records, and includes the original versions as “bonus” disk. I’ll buy it, even though I “might” have seen a bootleg of this somewhere in my lp collecion…naa, that’s not legal.

hi all
    What a great thread this is…I think the “shep” album is one of johns finest albums…..the wall ,rockin all over the world ..dream song….almost Saturday night…just fab!!!!….and that voice….WOW!!!!….Hoodoo well john should rework this project in some way…not to far removed from the originals….between the lines …hoodoo man…on the run …classic john fogerty,….marching to blarney…not so good, sadly at the time I feel john fogerty couldn’t work out just how good some of these songs were to the bad stuff, and that’s why it probably got rejected.( we all know about johns problems at the time ) It would be interesting to know if john has these songs still in his music room, the majority of john fogerty fans want this album to be released…perhaps swamp girl you could ask john to make an updated comment on this body of work, as we are in 2014, I feel with john in such a positive mood now he might just see how great some of these songs are.

steve from England.

charles

It would be fun to hear Telephone on the radio someday. I should ask my local radio station to do that MMMmmmm ?? I was going to this place with my wife yesterday and Between the Lines was playing in the vehicle and her first comment was ( that’s John Fogerty!! nice song Charles) MMmmm.

There was not a bad song on Shep, a very strong album from start to finish. When the LP came out in ’75 I really thought it was going to shoot JF back to the top. Still my favorite JF solo LP today.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.