Home Forums Swamp Talk General Discussion Review of Grand Prairie, TX show 10/18

This topic contains 4 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Hoodoo Bob Hoodoo Bob 1 year, 2 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Hoodoo Bob
    Hoodoo Bob

John Fogerty and his sizzling band rocked the Verizon Theater in Grand Prairie last night. After a video montage of clips of the Sultan of Swamp, it ended with him saying something like, “And here I am today, still writing music–writing songs.” Sparks fly and John appears center stage to Kenny’s right, going into Hey Tonight (which was the title of my post yesterday on this forum). The video said that John plays the guitar four hours a day, and runs six miles a day. Both were evident in this show, by the amount of energy that John brought to the show, and the soaring and lightning fast guitar licks. He played the songs of CCR’s second album, Bayou Country. Penthouse Pauper’s searing bluesy licks were full of hope, “If I was a gambler, you know I’d never lose; if I were a guitar player, Lord (Lloyd) I’d have to play the blues!” Bootleg was a foot stomping crowd pleaser. Graveyard Train brought out the howling, growling harmonica and displayed John’s passion for perfection. He wasn’t getting the volume from his Harmonica mic, so he spiked it like a wide-receiver in the end zone and plucked his number one mic to howl into–all without missing a beat. Nice! John played the Blue Music Man guitar for Keep on Chooglin, and ‘Skinned that smoke wagon’ (Tombstone reference there) with a Van Halen-esque intro. Some of the lesser expected songs were my favorite parts of the show, Porterville, Nobody’s Here Anymore [FOLKS, when he pulls out the white Ibanez strat guitar–get ready for some guitar mastery!], Blue Moon Nights (probably one of my top two favorite Fogerty tunes). Long As I Can See the Light had John Center back stage with a backdrop of stars and candle light bathed in four spotlights. The crowd sang at top volume. Greatness! Some of the other tunes which go everybody on their feet: Fortunate Son, GREEN RIVER!!!!, Lookin’ Out My Back Door, Centerfield–the Louisville Slugger guitar’s feed was not being picked up, so he played it with the hot red Tele, I Hoid It Through the Grapevine (with his Black Les Paul no less!), Bad Mood Rising and Proud Mary. It was fun watching John interact with his son, Shane on stage. Shane also put his heart and soul into the music,and broke what looked to be the third string on his acoustic guitar with some hot strumming. Very, very great concert by the top song writer of our generation!
    Peace Out, Y’all
    HB

hi hoodoo bob
    great review.!!!!

steve from England.

Profile photo of Brent Jordan
    Brent Jordan

GREAT SHOW AS ALWAYS…………..I WAS MISSING ONE THING..WHERE WAS MISS DARLENE……I LOOKED FOR HER…DIDNT SEE HER DANCI’N AT THE STAGE……….MISS DARLENE? WHERE WERE YA…..HIDIN’ ? BRENT

Whoa there, HOODOO BOB!!!! WOW!!
    That is quite one hot, smokin’ review you got there!!!
    Here’s a favorite taste — from what you served up…

“Bayou Country. Penthouse Pauper’s searing bluesy licks were full of hope, “If I was a gambler, you know I’d never lose; if I were a guitar player, — Lord (Lloyd) I’d have to play the blues!” Bootleg was a foot stomping crowd pleaser. Graveyard Train brought out the howling, growling harmonica and displayed John’s passion for perfection. He wasn’t getting the volume from his Harmonica mic, so he spiked it like a wide-receiver in the end zone and plucked his number one mic…”

COOL, man!!! You’re writing leaves me drooling!!! Great job / great review!!! I wish I were there to soak in all that bayou greatness!!!!
    GOSH – – – that album BAYOU COUNTRY is a monster truck of rock n roll mastery!!!!!

Profile photo of Hoodoo Bob
    Hoodoo Bob

DRBQ, you got that right, BAYOU COUNTRY is a monster truck plowing through, slinging mud, banishing the gators to the edge of the bayou! Thanks for the kind words. I got a few good photos with my phone, but I can’t figure out how to load them on this site!
    HB

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.